Sunday, January 9, 2011

Nosy or Neighbourly?

It's been years since we had much in the way of snow and I found myself wishing for a real snowfall. I was as excited as a child when nine inches of snow fell in 24 hours.

I wanted to get out with my snowshoes and take some photos.

This is how far Lionel got before he remembered that I like to walk ahead of him to take photos of untouched snow.

Once again, I was a bit disappointed to find a set of tire tracks in the snow but it was still a gorgeous morning for a walk.

Usually I prefer to walk uphill away from home so I can roll back home. Instead my chosen destination was one kilometer south of our house--downhhill. It isn't very far unless there is trudging involved. Even with snowshoes, each step required great effort. It was fantastic! 

Our neighbours live in the city but haven't been up for a while because they spent Christmas abroad. They just built their cabin to lock-up stage this past summer. I had it in mind to take photos of their new cabin in its first coat of snow.


Imagine driving away from the city to your cabin in the mountains to see this sight! A little cabin covered in snow, nestled in the trees, little chickadees flitting from tree to tree--heavenly!

We noticed their little shelter looked ready to split under the weight of all that snow. Lionel found a 2" x 4" and started knocking it off the left side.

With the left side cleared, the contrast with the right side is quite pronounced. By now both of us were tired and we still had to head back up the mountain. I put down the camera and helped with the right side. I was grateful for plenty of stops along the way gave me a chance to catch my breath, enjoy the scenery and take more photos.


6 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Would have loved to come on that walk!. Giggled at the footsteps in the snow - you could see where Lionel went OOPS! and turned back! Such a guy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have taken so many photos! He used to get cross when I first asked him to walk behind me but loves the photos and understands it's not a power trip. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos Nancy, it looks much the same up here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rhoda, it's SO pretty and I've waited such a long time for snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, do they look as though he was retreating because he was in trouble?

    ReplyDelete