Sunday, January 2, 2011

Another Non-Resolution for the New Year

Georgia Nicols is one of Canada's most popular astrologers. She was on the morning news today offering predictions for 2011. I can't remember the last time I checked my horoscope. Wait, I know, I check it at the start of the New Year and again at Chinese New Year when I read up on the Chinese horosope. It always amazes me that so much fits for the people I know, in particular for a special Libran in my life--wow!

Of most interest to me now is health which looks good for the coming year. Health has been a problem and therefore a priority for some time but I have felt like I'm taking those proverbial two steps forward and at least one step back. For some reason every time I've even thought about possibly starting a new excerise program I have come down with a cold. Hoping for different results I began a simple exercise program during a cold a couple of months ago. So far, so good. It's a very short and simple program fine-tuned by my son when he was home for Christmas.

He is a certified CrossFit coach and my workout is loosely based on those principles. That is not to say I will be setting a goal of participating in the insanity known as the CrossFit Games. No way. Still, I am taking baby steps back to wellness, fitness and feeling strong--I really miss that. It's great to have an encouraging non-critical coach regardless of my feeble skills and slow progress. It's wonderfully rewarding to come full circle. He said that I was the one who inspired him to be physically fit and now he's teaching me.

4 comments:

  1. Two steps forward and one step back seems to be my exercise routine. When I was at my most fit, I worked out in a gym. Two days a week, I did my warm-up on a stationary bike, followed by nautilus training and then a two mile walk. Every time I tried to increase to three days, I would get sick. A new fitness routine seemed to be at the top of my list for resolutions, but I know such a routine would set me up for failure. I do plan to take it week by week and make a goal that is fitting for each week to keep it flexible. Best of luck on your routine! You are sure to get good results with a coach who knows you and has your best interest in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before moving here I did yoga, Pilates and aerobic dance. In those days Pilates and aerobic dance were not widely available. I had to go to a dance studio for those classes--but that was when I looked great in a leotard. After I had kids I joined a gym and started a home gym. I was always active and fit.

    Since moving here I remained very active and fit but was not at all motivated to sticking to any exercise programs. I never followed through on New Year resolutions but now find that setting and re-evaluatinge goals throughout the year works for me. My coach is highly inspirational but it always comes down to me doing the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I can't seem to even get out there and walk, let alone 'exercise'!

    Didn't we take a yoga class once? But only one class and then quit? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amber! I don't remember what it was but we did go to some sort of class on land. We did go to aquacize for years--do you remember that?

    It feels good to build strength again. This program is SO EASY and simple that it doesn't seem possible that I am seeing so many changes in my body so quickly. I just hope I can keep going.

    ReplyDelete