Thursday, January 13, 2011

An Abbreviated Retail Therapy Session

With all the nasty weather on our monthly shopping trip to the city we did not linger. It was a bit disappointing to have only an hour for my non-grocery-and-necessities shopping while the truck was being serviced. Years of experience came in handy. It had been well over a year since I was at this mall. First stop, House of Knives to check out the hot deals.

Can you spot the themes? Silicone pot grabbers, silicone spatulas, silicone tipped locking tongs, and the deal of the day, a super sharp carbon steel Küssi Vibe non-stick knife with guard for a whopping $4.99! Yes, I still love purple but lately I'm very drawn to this shade of green. All the colours are so poorly represented in these pics.

Clothes shopping was not exactly enticing when I had a list for Bead Connections: a couple of hanks of beads, DMC embroidery floss and pearl cotton. Brenda would have ordered black evenweave fabric but I like a bird in the hand so I settled for navy to replace black Aïda in a kit--I really dislike working with Aïda. The floss is for a Crabapple Hill redwork and patchwork quilt project. The pearl cotton and beads are for knitted beaded bags.

The bonus purchase not on my list was the first annual Mirabilia Christmas Tree from 2006. The shop sample was in a deep red oval frame with domed glass. I could not resist.



This is a beaded bag I knitted with pearl cotton. The double pointed needles are very slender: 1.25 mm (size 0000).






8 comments:

  1. That should keep you busy for quite a while. What will such a tiny bag be used for? It's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, without buy anything for a single new project, I have enough here to keep me busy for at least a decade!

    The bags are based on Victorian finger purses. They are completely impractical in this day and age but I just had to try knitting a beaded bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little purse is adorable, what patience you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rhoda, it's tiny so it didn't take long and I was ever so impressed with myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you planning to make more little baggies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the current plan, two more bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute purse, you are so clever! And your knife looks just like a "MasterChef" one I got before Christmas! Also in green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Donna, I don't know about clever--I just followed the pattern. :-)
    My knife is wonderful--nothing like carbon steel blades! I love that we both have green ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete